6/18/2021

Raising a Reader

“Make sure you are raising a reader." This usually ends my talk in my book tours.  

Often, a young parent approaches me afterwards and complains, “My seven-year-old son dislikes reading.” 

“Do you buy him books?” I ask.

“Oh, yes, tons of them!” she replies proudly.

“Have you read all those books yourself?”

“No, they’re for children.”  

“Have you ever read any book aloud to him when he could not read yet?” I push.

“No . . .” 

“Does he see you reading your own books?” 

“No, too busy with . . .”  

o o o

The many benefits of reading in a child’s development can't be over emphasized, as documented by psychologists and pediatricians. Among them are:   

1. Exercises the brain
2. Develops critical thinking
3. Enhances imagination 
4. Expands vocabulary
5. Relieves stress and tension 
6. Decreases depression
7. Improves memory and focus
8. Strengthens writing skills
9. Boosts sleep

And yet, many busy parents do not encourage reading. Instead, they give their active child a gadget to make him sit still. 

Raising a reading child is not a painful, rigid process. “If you want to raise a reader, be a reader” are wise words of grace from child development experts who research heavily on the subject. 

I know of a couple who takes these words seriously. An ex-colleague and friend sent me this photo of his two-year-old Marty. He said that since the kid was born, he and his wife would read to her a story at bedtime. 

Marty now has over 100 books, read to her many times over. But her excitement still peaks with every re-telling. Marty is also given her own “reading" time. She repeats the stories page after page in her own language, and prefers books to toys! 

This illustration borrowed from the Net says it all: 


My parents did not force reading on me or my siblings. They modeled it. We’d see dad reading early in the morning and late at night and would give us interesting tidbits about his current read at mealtimes. He and mom read the newspapers together every day. We all grew up to be readers.

When our three sons were small, my husband and I limited their TV time (gadgets were not born yet) to two hours per week—and only on weekends. Instead, we encouraged them to pick the books they liked in the store; we also invested on book sets/collection: art, science, dictionary, classic stories for kids, and a Childraft Encyclopedia.  

Their bedroom walls are lined with shelves bursting with books. 

Young moms and dads, if you are reading this, won't you consider raising a reader?  

No comments: