9/16/2021

Eating the Rainbow

Only two authorities on the rainbow make me sit up and listen: 

1) God:  “. . . when I form a cloud over the Earth and the rainbow appears in the cloud, I’ll remember my covenant between me and you and everything living, that never again will floodwaters destroy all life.” (Genesis 9:14-15 NLT)

2) My doctor – “Improve your health, eat the rainbow.” 

I was reminded of both when the rainbow was splashed all over social media in June by those who celebrate the pride month. 

I celebrated (and continue to celebrate) instead God’s promise to mankind and my doctor’s prescription for good health: eating the rainbow. 

This diet involves fruits and vegetables of different colors every day. By having a variety of colors in my meals, I gift my body with an array of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. 

In His infinite wisdom, God created these natural foods in all the colors of the rainbow. Each color (in different hues) is caused by specific phytonutrients, which are natural chemicals that help protect plants from germs, bugs, the sun's harmful rays, and other threats. Each color likewise indicates an abundance of specific nutrients.

As examples: 

The reds (tomatoes, carrots, watermelon, strawberries, apples, etc.) contain phytochemicals, lycopene and ellagic acid, which have cancer-fighting effects and other benefits.

The oranges and yellows (squash, corn, lemons, grapefruit, mangoes, etc.) are rich in vitamin C, carotenoids, and beta-carotene that improve immune function, reduce the risk of heart disease, promote healthy vision and cell growth, and reduce the risk of stroke. 

The greens (avocado, limes, kale, broccoli, asparagus, etc.) are rich in lutein, isothiocyanates, isoflavones, vitamin K, and folate for blood and bone health; they boost the immune system, help detoxify the body, and restore vitality.

Then there are the blues, purples, whites, and browns. Here’s a detailed graph of why these multi-colored creations are the Lord’s grace for my health and yours. 

Let me echo my doctor, and invite you to eat the rainbow of fruits and vegetables every day.  

“When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you.” (Deuteronomy 8:10 NIV)

No comments: