9/30/2021

Take a Stand: An Astounding Visual Movement

It took only one fist to take a stand on social media. And a movement was born.

Tarantadong Kalbo (roughly translated as bald-headed jerk), is 34-year-old comic artist Kevin Eric Raymundo.  He launched his "Tumindig" (Take a stand) illustration below, a few days before President Rodrigo Duterte's last State of the Nation Address (SONA) in July.  

He drew rows of fists (President Duterte's signature fist bump) subserviently kneeling to someone in power. But one fist stands in defiance, while the fist to his right takes a subtle peek. 

Immediately, the clenched fist standing up was now accompanied by more fists, individually accessorized by other artists, standing up. 

The illustration grew . . .

and grew . . . and grew, until every fist—each with a distinctive character—was taking a stand. 

Tarantadong Kalbo made it easy for everyone to create his own illustration by uploading a bare version of his fearless fist. People picked it up and created their own avatars. 

I could not pass up the standing offer.  

Among my artists friends, I called up Ggie, illustrator and designer of some of my books and therefore knows me well, to please make me an avatar. I didn't have to explain what I wanted. In less than an hour, she whipped up this writer taking a stand along with her books. It's been my FB profile since. 

The clenched-fist characters sprouted in SONA rallies as mascots. Meanwhile, Tarandadong Kalbo was interviewed on various media networks.  His online "Take a Stand" visual movement had gone viral! 

It made it to the front page of the Philippine Daily Inquirer (PDI), a national newspaper, with the original basic fist surrounded by tons of other dressed defiant fists, and was likewise given a full-page feature in the same issue.  

Since we buy copies of dailies (yes, we prefer them to website news) it was easy for me to take photos of the "Tumindig" news story and feature article. After uploading it to my FB page, I was shocked beyond reason to find that my post was liked 444 times and shared 346 times. A record for me by all standards! 

How can one simple illustration start an astounding movement? 

This seems to parallel what Scripture says (John 1:35-1) about my faith. It only takes a spark to bring others to the Source of grace and everything good. 

I believe that as long as we take a common stand, and come into a circle of prayer for help from our all-powerful Savior, hope will stand on solid ground, and stand the test of time.   

Photo credits: except for my avatar and screenshot of PDI, all photos are from the page of Tarantadong Kalbo 

No comments: