1/13/2024

Crossing the River

With my hands raised, I sang with the Praise and Worship team in my best alto voice. “Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.”  In our world today, tomorrow is iffy, precariously dark and dangerous. 

But because our God of grace lives, “All fear is gone.” 

When we got to verse 3,  “And then one day, I’ll cross the river,” tears streamed down my cheeks.

After the hymn ended, I wondered why I was weepy, and maybe a way too melodramatic. But that is how old hymns hit me, especially this one, one of my late mom’s favorites, and one of the very few hymns that we sing in church these days. The chosen songs by the young lead singers are usually contemporary and upbeat that get us clapping and dancing.  

“Because He Lives” is relatively new. It was released in 1971, before my first son was born. But the melody and lyrics speak to me more today than it ever did.

After the service, faith sisters of my generation were each talking about how they wept as they sang the hymn. I was not alone!  

At this stage in our lives, we think about crossing the river. It is a hopeful, wishful thought.

Because anytime now, our Savior will welcome us home, or He will come and be with us in lights of glory, whichever comes first. 

Verse 3 . . .  

“And then one day I'll cross the river
I'll fight life's final war with pain
And then as death gives way to vict'ry
I'll see the lights of glory
And I'll know He reigns.” 

         (By Bill and Gloria Gaither)

No comments: