1/28/2024

OPM: O Promise Me

OPM is an acronym in the Philippines that used to mean Original Pinoy Music in the 70s. It has evolved into a catch-all term for music produced by Filipinos. 

We gave it a different spin in the ad agency where I used to work: OPM was O Promise Me, facetiously referring to anyone who says one thing but does another. In short, unfulfilled promise. 

This came back to me after reading on social media endless complaints about the traffic situation in Metro Manila. It has reached international fame when  Chris Martin composed a song and sang it at the Coldplay concert last week:  

"Oh, we can’t wait to play Manila again, But the traffic here is completely insane."  


TomTom Traffic Index confirmed the insanity.  

This happened because of an OPM.  

Unwittingly, we too might have made a promise we did not fulfill.  

"I will love you forever" = break up  
"I will never leave you" = job abroad 
"I will pay you back on payday" = 48 paydays ago 
"I will lower the price of rice to P20/kilo"  = the cheapest is P55/kilo

Plus thousands more. And so, the expression "Promises are made to be broken" rings true.  

I now contrast this with the verses (ESV) I am reading on promises:  

". . . do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation." James 5:12

"A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape." Proverbs 19:5 

"Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of a gift he does not give." Proverbs 25:14

Note to self: Beg for grace to resist making a promise I cannot fulfill. 

Photos: borrowed from the Net

No comments: