10/07/2024

What’s So Special About the Elderly?

Hurriedly dressing up for our monthly seniors’ fellowship in church, I heard my phone beep. Hiyas Publishing had uploaded two of my children’s books with the caption, “As we celebrate Filipino Elderly Week, Hiyas children's books can help kids understand and appreciate the elderly.” 

1) All Aboard with Five Lolas (illustrated by Beth Parrocha). It’s  about role reversal. A young boy takes care of his five lolas when they get sick on board a ship.

2) Dump Truck in My Heart (illustrated by Dumz Agsaway). With the help of her family, a little girl copes with grief over the loss of her beloved grandmother.

Elderly Filipino Week (EFW) is held this year from October 1-7 with the theme: "Senior Citizens—Building the Nation, Inspiring Generations," highlighting the vital role of the elderly in shaping our nation's past and future.

Big words, big job! 

At the risk of being late for our church’s event, I reviewed my book list and was I surprised to find more titles on the elderly. My thought balloon, They inspired my generation.  

3) The Growling Tummy (illustrated by Beth Parrocha). Honesty is defined when a famished boy disarms a grouchy hag by volunteering to clean her orchard--instead of joining his friends freely helping themselves to the fruits--in exchange for lunch.

4) The Magic of Apo Mayor (illustrated by Beth Parrocha). This is an allegory of God’s righteousness. An ancient, ubiquitous mayor appears and praises children when they do a good deed. 

5) Lumpia Lane (illustrated by C.R. Chua). Despite being sick, an old man joyfully passes on the family business to his granddaughter. 

6) Tree for All (illustrated by Beth Parrocha). A feisty, aged lady shows young children that she will do everything she could to stop people from cutting trees. 

7) The Boy Who Had five Lolas (illustrated by May Tobias-Papa). A farmer works for five, rich old ladies, whose land he tills. They dote on his young son and treat him like their own grandchild.   

What made me write them? Now an elderly myself . . .

8) They are Memories of Grace, the title of the book for adults that I worked on during the pandemic. 

9) My heart balked after I retired from the corporate world, What, Me Retire? This book re-tired me to continue working.   

What makes the elderly special? Isaiah 46:4 (ESV) reads . . .

“. . . even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.”

No comments: