National Literacy Month is observed every September in the Philippines. This aligns with International Literacy Day on September 8.
That was why I was invited by the University of the Philippines (UP) College of Education to talk about my picture books, focusing on selecting children's literature for the intermediate grades.
Would I consider sharing my experience as an author to students and teachers to commemorate Literacy Month? “Weavers of Magic,” they called the celebration.
“Yes!” I replied in two seconds. It would be a nostalgic trip after so many years.
UP was where I spent four years for my college degree. I call that era my ancient of days, when I was young, reckless, and furious.
Except for new buildings, the campus has not changed much. The places where I used to run to be on time for classes, and the sunken garden which I crossed to go to the library---they are there. Unfortunately, it rained intermitently; it was unwise to walk around.
I remembered how intense UP students could be (compared to the Gen Z’s and Gen Alphas I now encounter). Everyone listened with rapt attention, abandoned their phones, and asked incisive questions.
It is grace that enables me to be seen as a weaver of magic today. Looking back, I think my UP days wove magic into me.
In the car on my way home, I sang the university hymn, UP Beloved (it is now sung in Filipino).
U.P. beloved, thou Alma Mater dear
For thee united our joyful voices hear . . .
(Oops, the rest of the lyrics eludes me)





No comments:
Post a Comment