10/02/2026

Care Partners

After losing my care partner to heart failure last year, I was at sea for a while. Tony used to handle everything: car maintenance and registration, bills, and anything that needed a system. He understood my right brain or often wandering mind.

I had to adopt a left brain and take over fast.  Our three sons come to the rescue, but they are all busy and I am the one left at home, holding the fort.

But grace helps me with the gaps. There are two angels who keep the caring continue in ways I could never do. 

Sammy cares for all car issues and travels on the road. He is a “nag,” reminding me when vehicle obligations are due. The safest driver I know, he has not had a single run-in with the law for over 12 years. He knows his routes well and waits patiently when needed.

Mother Teresa is a spoiler. She has taken over all the things I used to do for myself (organizing my meds, sorting my documents, checking my schedules). I know that is not good for the brain, because I now rely on her so much I no longer pay attention to my everyday routine. She has been with us since the pandemic and has no plans of retiring.

But caring is not a one-way traffic. I try to do my part whenever I can. In August, Tony’s birth month, Sammy and Mother Teresa asked me if I could accompany them to his graveside—a gesture to honor his memory.

It was a touching request. And so we went. On our way home, I asked them to join me in Tropical Hut, one of Tony’s favorite snack haunts.

We ate, we laughed, we had fun, and we remembered how “Sir Tony” loved being there and bringing home more than enough food for everyone. 

No comments: