11/21/2021

PINK at the End of the Tunnel

At the rate the idiom, "a light at the end of the tunnel," is being used during the pandemic, it might soon be a cliche. 

An idiom, as we know it, is a metaphorical figure of speech, and goes beyond the literal meaning of the words. "A light at the end of the tunnel" therefore means we can see hope that the Covid-19 virus and its harrowing effects will soon vanish. 

Dating back to 1800s, as read in old publications, this metaphor for hope was popularized by President John Kennedy in the mid-1960s in reference to the Vietnam war. 

I am borrowing a part of the idiom in light of our political landscape, where we are groping. It is dark, very dark, with all the blinding political maneuverings, lies, deceit, mud-slinging, etc. And what's worse, some people I know applaud them. These have often discouraged me, making my heart sad. But by grace, I know the Lord will give us light.

With the groundswell of the people's pink campaign for VP Leni Robredo, I see this light in the May 2022 elections.    

Try skimming through these photos, which I downloaded from socmed (there are many more, but my feeble hands could only collage this much for today), and see for yourself.  

"Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God!" (Psalm 43:5) 

No comments: