11/05/2021

Cabin Fever, Anyone?

Being stuck at home for almost two years now has left many feeling bored, irritable, and restless. These feelings are associated with a condition commonly called cabin fever. 

This describes a person who has been confined at home for extended periods. Although cabin fever is not considered a psychological condition, it has real psychological impact on anyone, according to Vaile Wright, director of clinical research and quality at the American Psychological Association.

Cabin fever used to be a literal phrase to describe those living away from civilization for long periods, in cottages on the outskirts of the town. Today, this is a term for people who find themselves isolated from the outside world in the confines of their homes. With the coronavirus epidemic, everyone seems to have his taste of cabin fever, which spawns impatience, anxiety, lethargy, and insomnia, among others. 

Who gets cabin fever? 

"Temperament and personality are big factors," according to psychologists.  Those most likely to get it are extroverted individuals, and those with existing mental health conditions. 

On the other hand, the homebodies viewing the lockdown as a much-needed opportunity to do things they had no time for—hobby, general house cleaning, family bonding time, finishing that oft-postponed project—take longer to reach this point or not experience cabin fever at all. 

I belong to the second category. A homebody at heart, I have no complaints about staying home. I do all the reading and writing I want and be with friends on the phone or social media. 

What I had in the beginning of the pandemic was fear . . .  

1) of technology. The platform for events have moved online, and I was technologically challenged; 

2) of the unknown. People are dying in droves; economies are collapsing; countries are falling apart; workers are being fired; more people are going hungry; and undestaffed hospitals are overcrowded.   

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (NLT) 

To face fear #1, I hired a techie to show me the ropes. In no time, I could do things on my own, and have taken fancy to digital art. 

To face fear #2, I went on my knees, reflected on the verse above, casting down every uncertainty at the Lord's feet and asking for calming grace. 

What happened next? 

My book launches were put on hold; the Manila International Book Fair, canceled; our 77th annual clan reunion, called off; son #2 and family's trip to the Philippines, postponed indefinitely; FB has turned into an obituary; our Medical Transcription school transitioned to virtual classes; and our whole household, except for son #1, tested positive for Covid. 

Cabin fever? No. Calming grace, yes.  

I believe the Lord upended the two things I feared most to keep me going. 

Technology enables me to be together with separated loved ones, to attend more events than I ever have, to tour the world anytime, visit past eras and places no transportation can reach, giggle with giggly babies, enjoy all kinds of pets, applaud young prodigies, and scream over the golden buzzer on auditions. 

The unknown makes me ask, with joyful expectation, "Are you coming soon, Lord?"  

Photo credit:IStock

No comments: